With the dresser inserted, I was eager to get the trim around it. I would use the original trim that went around the door, but it would need to be cut down.
The first task was finding it in the mass of bundles. There are two other short closet storage doors and of course I found the trim for those before finally finding the bundle for that area. I had labeled them Master Closets 1, 2, and 3. Honestly at that point I couldn’t remember which was 1 or 3. 2 was easy because it had graffiti on it and my before pictures showed me where it went.
Outside of the graffiti this trim was in really good shape. Since I found all three bundles I decided to prep and hang them all. Literally all they needed was cleaning due to all the dust, which I did with a bucket filled with Murphy’s Oil Soap. I was prepared to do my denatured alcohol/Restore-a-Finish routine, but I only used the alcohol on the outer edges to remove paint and on the top plate of door 2 to remove the graffiti. I did use the Restore-A-Finish in these areas, but what really brought these pieces back to life was the Howard’s Feed and Wax.
The obstacle on this project was cutting the trim down to fit the dresser and I was nervous about this. There are no do-over opportunities. That trim design isn’t made anymore and aged wood with the patina I had can’t be store bought. I seriously thought about calling Tom Milfeld, but I put on my big girl pants and decided to do a trial run with some scrap wood first.
Forty-five degree miter cuts is rookie level, piece of cake. Measuring the right length, especially for the last piece is my struggle. I cut the left side first, followed by the top, which I intentionally made long. When my first angle met up perfectly I cut the right side of the top and then the right side. I failed, falling about a half inch too short.
That one practice run gave me the confidence I needed and I proceeded to cut the actually trim, SUCCESS!!!! But now what to do with the gap at the bottom????
I had always planned to cover it, which is why adjusting the front legs was crucial in Part 1. I think I’ll have extra of the original wall trim because I won’t need to reinstall any in the bathroom area, but I wouldn’t know that for awhile, so I decided to go to my favorite salvage store Building Value to see if I’d get lucky and find some wide, old, trim. I hit the jackpot by finding an old window apron (part that rest under the sill) in the exact color and with an outer moulding that was almost a dead match for mine. All I needed to do was rip it down to the right height, 6″; right width, “29”; clean with soap water, and rub with the wax. It fit and blended in like it was always part of the house.
I forgave myself for the poor paint job when I saw the finished product. As with my mirror project, what I saw in my mind’s eye became a reality. I am so stoked to find the rest of the trim and get it installed. While searching for the door trim I did find the trim for the landing at the top of the stairs, so I cleaned it up too; water and wax.
In installing the top of the stairs I discovered once again the difference between drywall and plaster thickness. The boards needed to align with the stair rail (I think that’s what that part is called), so I made my own shims from some thin pieces I had to build out the ends that needed it.
If all the trim cleans and hangs as easy as these pieces did I’m going to be one happy camper. I’m hugely motivated to tackle more of this project.
What’s name of blog.
I don’t remember, I just saved the picture. My blog is venusdiyworld.com
Wow that turned out really awesome. I’ve never seen this idea!
Sorry for delay in approving. I must have missed the email notice. Thanks. Pinterest gives some great, doable, ideas.