Not the Plan, But Necessary
I long time family friend has a concrete business, which I know means he has access to the equipment I need to move dirt from my yard to the area around my porch to raise the soil level. He came out Sunday to access the situation and has agreed to help me. Last year I started digging to to connect my downspouts on the left side of my house to the original drain in the rear of house. The left front drain is on the porch and with the relocation of my downspouts my plan, last year, was to trench along the side of my house and connect the front to the rear drain. I knew I couldn’t do that by hand, so I stopped to find someone that knew how to operate a trencher. I got no showed three times, it turned cold, project stopped. Here’s the blessing in my City citation. It was confirmed, in writing, that I could daylight, allow the gutter water to run into the yard. I had been told differently previously. That meant no trenching for the front downspout. I only needed to re-connect the rear like I had done with the opposite side.
My dirt moving help can come as early as next week, so finishing that connection became priority, otherwise he’d refill a partially dug hole and I’d have even more dirt to move later. Last year I removed an approximate one foot section of pipe. I covered the exposed opening with a large rock to prevent things from falling into the hole. I’ve noticed with some of our recent heavy rains my basement was leaking again, something that hasn’t happened since fixing the gutters. Well it’s because mud seeped in under my rock and that pipe had become completely blocked, so water was just pooling in that area. I was going to remove another section anyway, but now it was absolutely necessary.
Once I got that approximate two foot section out I laid on my stomach and used my hand to dig out as much mud from the pipe as I could. I got down to my elbow and mentally prepared myself for another plumbing bill. If I couldn’t get it cleared I’d have to call in Zins Plumbing. My basement drains were filled with debris when I bought the house and I used my shop vac to clean them out, so I thought I’d give that a try. No pics of this as I was a hot, muddy, mess by now. I had a 8′ section of metal conduit and I used that to stir up the mud created when I filled the hole with water. I sucked up rocks, glass, wood chunks, mud for two hours. The extensions on my shop vac gave me approximately 4′ reach. I had reached my capacity when finally water started flowing through instead of backing up. Plumbing expense SAVED! My reward for that day’s hard labor……..an Epson Bath Soak. I soaked through sunset listening to jazz.
The next day I ran to Home Depot to pick up the appropriate PVC plumbing fittings. I needed a flexible coupling, two 45 degree fittings and 3″ PVC pipe. I could see roots at the bottom of the hole, so I added some root kill before I connected the pipes. I used the short section of clay pipe as my vice to hold the PVC pipe while I cut it with my reciprocating saw. I had the connection made in about an hour.
When I finished that project I finished the primer coat on the foundation and windows. The window primer I had tinted Uncertain Gray, so now I am 100% certain that is the right color. I wish I had gone that route with the foundation primer as I’d have a stronger visual of my final house. That will have to wait a few days as rain is in the forecast.
My reward for that day’s labor was a 45 minute steam shower where I did a deep conditioner of my hair with the scent of eucalyptus in the air. I can’t wait for the outside of my house to reach the level of the inside.