Demo, the Remix
My original game plan was to demo everything down to the studs. Someone suggested that I could drywall over the plaster on the ceilings in the process of the first demo, so I altered course and left the ceiling in the dining room, majority of living room, 1st floor hall and one of the bedrooms (future office). On the inside walls I left the lathe from approximately 30″ and up.
Well turns out that was not a good move. The HVAC company, who has started running ducts, needed access to more joist in the non-demoed ceilings and walls. With the high 40s/low 50s temps of last week I completed all the demo. Cameron and his brother-in-law brought the muscle. Fresh from my dumpster lesson I tried Whitton Containers this time. Still not a great experience, but at least I didn’t get over charged. I was supposed to have a Wednesday morning delivery. It showed about 2pm (the other company did the same thing), but they knocked $50 off the price (unlike the other company). I think they all have a racquet to get over. Whitton told me they only had a 15 yard available, but it allowed up to 12 tons. Well I hoped that would be enough space, but I knew weight would not be an issue. I took a different route to the house on Thursday and low and behold I stumbled across a lot jammed packed with Whitton dumpsters. Many larger than the 15-yard that was my “only option”. I went from a 40 yard with low weight allowance to a 15 yard with a high weight allowance. Something is wrong with that picture.
My dad urged me to remove all lathe and just add it back to the vertical studs were needed for the walls with doors or windows. I took his suggestion in most areas. No video or action shots. Just photos of the finished product. The other advantage to removing everything is the access I gained to even more of the knob and tubs I need to clear out. Amazing to see how that house was wired and even more amazing that it never burned down.
I’m so ready to start rebuilding.